YA Materials, Literature Log, Book #6: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

 Title: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

Author: Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Category: LGBTQ+


Aristotle, who goes by Ari, and Dante aren't who you would expect to be friends. Ari's angry, conflicted about his feelings and the fact that his older brother is in prison for years and his parents refuse to talk about it. Dante's intelligent, and a little strange--at least, he has no other friends. But through spending together, the boys grow close one summer, their lives change, and they begin to feel a deeper connection.


I loved this book far more than I expected to. It has actually been on my to-be-read list for several years, as I'd heard praise for it, so I was glad to get the chance to read it--and I was blown away! Ari and Dante are two fully realized characters whose emotional journeys are so fraught, Ari's especially, that I think teens will have no choice but to relate to them. I think this book could be a great Pride Month read, and also be used to celebrate Mexican-American culture. Also, this novel could be used as a great exercise to show teen boys that it's okay to express their feelings, and to have them at all. I would very much recommend this novel. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA Materials, Literature Logs, Book #20: Dear Martin

YA Materials, Literature Log, Book #11: The 57 Bus

YA Materials, Literature Log, Book #15: Girl in the Blue Coat