Top Ten Favorite Books

So, as anther introduction to my blog as well as my reading habits, I thought I'd do a little top ten of some of my favorite books. Now, I have a lot more books I consider my favorites besides these ten, and you can check some of them out here.

Now, let's get into the books!

# 10: Jane Eyre

This is one I've loved ever since I read it for school back in my senior year. Classics are iffy for me, as most of them I find overlong and boring, but I did not think so with Jane Eyre. I found Jane interesting and a lot of fun to read about (not to mention relateable), and the book held me interested long past the point when I would have given up with other books. There were twists I didn't see coming, and some I did, and beautifully depicted characters and settings. All in all, I love Jane Eyre.

# 9: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Yes, I know, everyone loves this book. Well, so do I! I read this one in high school too on a recommendation from a friend. While I'm usually not a fan of "creepy" books, I loved this one. The history/time travel elements drew me in initially, as well as the fact that it contained photographs to aid the reading. And I fell in love. The world, I thought, was crafted wonderfully and in a way that I was able to understand while still being in complete awe of it. I love all the characters, and how unique each peculiarity was to each child. I've read the second book in the series, and though I bought the third shortly after it came out, I have not gotten more than a few chapters in because other things (and other books) keep getting in the way. Hopefully I'll be able to re-read the series soon.

# 8: The Book Thief

I'm pretty sure I read this book because everyone else loved it. I devoured it in like, three days, and then I made my mom and my boyfriend read it as well - and they loved it too. This one is only ahead of Miss Peregrine because I feel a deeper connection to it; I love historical books, and the fact that this one is narrated by death gave me even more of a reason to love it. I will be singing the praises of this book till the day I die, because it is amazing.

# 7: A Swiftly Tilting Planet

A Swiftly Tilting Planet, along with the series opener A Wrinkle in Time, was one of my favorite books growing up. I'm pretty sure these books were my introduction to science fiction, though my child mind didn't see it that way. However, I chose this one over Wrinkle because I loved it more, and read it more often. Not to mention there's slightly less science that goes way over my head in this one, and more history - see a pattern here? Miraculously, I'd never read the second book in the series, A Wind in the Door, until just this past December, when I received the three of them for Christmas (as I lost my childhood copies).

# 6: The Song of the Lioness Quartet

Listen, I love these books. They were my life when I was about twelve or thirteen, and I still love them to bits. Tamora Pierce is one of my favorite authors. I don't see many people talking about these books, or any of her books, which really confuses me, because they're well-written, interesting fantasies set in a world of their own. This series is the best introduction to Pierce's novels, in my opinion, as they set up the world of Tortall, though she has many others set in the same world. I love these books because the main character, Alannah, was the first female character I'd read who wasn't afraid to fight, who took initiative, and who did whatever it took to succeed. I loved her, and wanted to be her. Heck, I still want to be her. I fully believe that everyone who loves fantasy should read these books.

# 5: The Inkheart Trilogy

I read the first book, Inkheart, when I was ten based on a recommendation from my language arts teacher, and I've never regretted it. Me and my dad read them together, as we're both people who love books, and these are essentially books about books, and we both really liked them. And yes, I have seen the movie, I remember nothing about it so I can't tell you if it's good or bad. Pretty sure it's bad, though. The idea of being able to read characters in and out of books really appealed to me and it was such an interesting concept! I've read one other of Cornelia Funke's books, I can't remember which right now, but I'm probably going to get more of them soon to read (besides, I somehow lost my copy of Inkheart, and that's just a tragedy).

# 4: The Percy Jackson Series

Is this surprising, seeing what else I like? Number two won't surprise you either. I read these when I was twelve and thirteen, right around the time the last book came out (and the movie, but we don't talk about those). And I was obsessed. Percy Jackson was my first fandom, actually, and while I've stopped being quite so obsessed, I still love these books with all my heart. I've also read the follow-up series, Heroes of Olympus, and the Kane Chronicles, and I have plans to get my hands on the Magnus Chase books soon. I mean, who doesn't love mythology?

# 3: The Inheritance Cycle

I know these books get a lot of hate in the book community, and I honestly don't understand why. I know there are elements similar to other popular books and things, but like....what isn't anymore? I also read these first in middle school, but I've been re-reading the series as I got the first three as Christmas gifts (I've had the fourth for years), and I fell back in love with them. They're original, they're funny, they're well-written, and the characters are just amazing. Despite being long (Eragon is the shortest and it's still about 400 or so pages), they're fast-paced and able to hold my attention for long periods of time - which is saying something, as I'm ADHD. I refuse to listen to any hate, because I'm pretty sure people who hate them didn't actually read them (either that or we did not read the same book, because these are perfect).

# 2: The Harry Potter Series

This isn't surprising at all, is it? Like everyone else between the ages of ten and ninety-nine, I love Harry Potter. Seriously. I've read each book at least four times (the third book I've read about fifteen times, as it's the only one I own and my favorite of the seven). I've been to Harry Potter-themed events just because Harry Potter. I've seen Fantastic Beasts four times. I'm obsessed. And I'm proud of it. Like most of the world, Harry became my best friend when I read these, and I found something to love about every character. I will never stop loving Harry Potter.

# 1: The Lord of the Rings

And now, my all-time favorite book ever on the face of the earth: The Lord of the Rings. I am in love with this book, and with J.R.R. Tolkien's books in general. I was read The Hobbit as a bedtime story when I was a kid, and while I watched the LOTR movies before I read it, I probably wouldn't have picked it up without seeing the movies. I'll admit, when I was younger, the size of it scared me. I thought it would be boring, and I wouldn't understand it. But then we watched the movies after the first Hobbit movie came out, and I became, once again, obsessed. That summer, I borrowed my dad's copy of The Lord of the Rings on our yearly trip to Michigan, and I read it in a week flat. Probably less. Since then, I've read it once more, when taking a Lord of the Rings class my college offered (so cool, right?). I have been working on The Silmarillion, though that's harder going. I could talk about how much I love The Lord of the Rings for ages, so I'll stop here.

And there you have it; my top ten favorite books! Or rather, book series. Oops. Let me know what you think about these books, and have a great day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA Materials, Literature Logs, Book #20: Dear Martin

TBR: July

YA Materials, Literature Log, Book #11: The 57 Bus