REVIEW: The Mall by Megan McCafferty


Before I get started, I did want to note that I received an e-ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a review! You'll also be able to find this review there.

So, I was born in 1997. I was alive for the end of the 90's, but I don't recall any of it. Therefore, I know very little about 90's culture in general, much less 1991, the year this novel is set it. However, I was excited by the prospect of a book set entirely in a mall, which were a staple of my childhood, and to learn a little about the early 90's!

And I have to say, I was not let down. This book is a treasure.

Let's get into it!

CHARACTERS
The Mall has a moderate cast of characters, told in the first-person perspective of Cassie Worthy, recent high school graduate and only child of two dentists. She suffered from a case of mono in her final month of high school, but she's set to work at America's Best Cookie in the local mall with her boyfriend Troy all summer, before both of them go to New York for college. Cassie is a full, rounded character from the start. She has snappy narration that's both easy to read and sounds like (what I imagine) an actual teenager in the early 90's would sound like. She's booksmart, but not people-smart, and goes through real growth over the course of the novel.

Then there's the secondary characters: Troy, her boyfriend, her coworker Drea (and Drea's mom), Cassie's parent's, and a plethora of other mall employees and shoppers. Nearly all of the named secondary characters feel just as real as Cassie, especially Drea and Cassie's mom. They have hopes, dreams, and likes, and all in all are very well written! I think Cassie herself was my favorite character, though.

PLOT
So, the plot's easy: Cassie works in a mall, is planning for college, and there's a treasure hunt running throughout the middle. Yep, a treasure hunt in a mall. I don't want to reveal too much of the plot here, as it's best experienced first-hand, but I will say that all aspects of the plot - as well as the subplots of Drea's college dreams and Cassie's parents' relationship issues - work very well together. Nothing feels thrown in randomly.

WRITING
In my opinion, The Mall is very well-written. Cassie sounds like her age, and McCafferty has found a balance between description and action that works well. The novel reads very easily, and it's easy to read quickly.

RATING
I give The Mall five stars! It's awesome

RECOMMENDATION

If you remember the 90's, like the 90's, or really enjoy malls (or just YA books in general), I totally recommend this book! It comes out June 9th, 2020.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA Materials, Literature Logs, Book #20: Dear Martin

TBR: July

YA Materials, Literature Log, Book #11: The 57 Bus